Town Clerk / assistant to manager / pio
Duties of the Town Clerk are set forth in North Carolina General Statute 160A-171 which states there shall be a city clerk who shall give notice of meetings of the council, keep a journal of the proceedings of the council, be the custodian of all city records, and shall perform any other duties that may be required by law or the council. In Black Mountain the clerk additionally serves as the Public Information Officer.
The Town Clerk is also:
- Provides skilled administrative support to the Town Manager, Mayor and Board of Aldermen
- Researches information for & collaborates with the Town Manager on special projects as assigned
- Interacts with:
- North Carolina Clerks Association
- North Carolina League of Municipalities
- Regional council of governments
- State and local elected officials and community leaders
- University of North Carolina School of Government
The Clerk manages the CodeRED Information System for Black Mountain citizens who have registered to be informed regarding emergency conditions, road detours, water line breaks, proposed zoning changes, weather-related directive and closures. The CodeRED system allows messages to be sent to targeted geographic areas or to the entire Town at once.
Apply / Volunteer for a Board / Commission
The Clerk manages the application process for all advisory boards and commissions. All applications to serve as a volunteer on one of the town’s Boards and Commissions are turned into the Clerk’s Office. Download the application form (PDF).