Water Quality Guide for Restaurants
- Be sure that all wash water drains to the sanitary sewer system - not a storm drain.
- Be sure to store grease in covered containers designed for that purpose.
- Clean up all outdoor spills immediately using rags, kitty litter, or other absorbent materials and then dispose of them properly.
- Do not place grease rendering drums near any creek, stream, or storm drain.
- Dumpsters should be placed in covered areas to prevent stormwater from entering them.
- If equipment needs to be cleaned outdoors, collect wash water and dispose of it in indoor sinks or drains that discharge into the sanitary sewer system.
- After mopping up spills, rinse mop and dispose of wash water in indoor sinks or toilets that discharge into the sanitary sewer system.
- Keep all storm drains clear.
- Know where spill kits are located in the event of a spill. Make sure spill kits are stored in a convenient location.
- Make sure there are a sufficient number of trash receptacles for employees and customers.
- Never put any waste products or food waste in any stream, creek, or storm drain.
- Pick up litter every day, keeping parking lots and other paved areas clean of debris.
- Recycle grease or dispose of it at an appropriate landfill.
*Information on this Web Page excerpted from City of Concord, Copyright 2019, and City of Winston-Salem, Copyright 2006-2020