Unified Development Ordinance
The purpose of the UDO is to consolidate all development-related provisions and cross reference other ordinances that apply. Ideally, a UDO will include all zoning, building and site design, and subdivision regulations for the Town.
The annotated outline proposes overall organization and content of the proposed Black Mountain Unified Development Ordinance (UDO). The outline is organized intuitively by grouping similar provisions and standards together into sections, beginning with zoning, then development and subdivision standards, and, finally, development review procedures and administration. The UDO generally answers the following sequence of questions:
- What is my property's zoning district and what uses are permitted?
- What development standards apply?
- What design standards pertain to my building and my site?
- What's required to subdivide land?
- What are the development processes and who reviews or takes final action on each process?
- What are my options if my use or property is nonconforming? (in other words, legally established before the Town adopted the UDO)
- Can I request a variance or appeal a Staff decision?
- What do certain terms, acronyms, or phrases mean?
The outline shows how the Town's current provisions for zoning, subdivision of land, signs, flood damage prevention, site design, building design, administrative bodies, and other provisions fit into the overall outline of the new UDO. However, this is not to say that all of Black Mountain's existing regulations will be retained. In fact, some are likely to be removed, replaced, or significantly amended.
All timelines are subject to change as we continue this process. Once a draft is available, public comment periods will be announced. We encourage and welcome the public to the monthly Planning Board meetings, which are held on the fourth Monday of every month at 6:00 p.m. at Town Hall.
October 2, 2023 - UDO posted for public comment
October 4, 2023 - 4:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. - Community Meeting at Town Hall
October 5, 2023 - 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. - Community Meeting at Town Hall
October 11, 2023 - 4:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. - Community Meeting at Town Hall
October 12, 2023 - 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. - Community Meeting at Town Hall
December 14, 2023 - Work Session with Town Council
January 8, 2023 - Call for Public Hearing
February 12, 2023 - Public Hearing