- Transportation Projects
- Current Transportation Projects
- Charlotte Street Sidewalk
Charlotte Street Sidewalk
The Town of Black Mountain Council approved funding to construct a sidewalk on Charlotte Street which will close a gap in the existing pedestrian network between Flat Creek Greenway and East State Street. This local project is included in a set of pedestrian and bicycle improvements approved by the Town Council in 2021, connecting Flat Creek Greenway to federal project EB5547-A, which begins at the intersection of N.C. 9 Hwy and Sutton Avenue.
The Buncombe County School System has granted the Town of Black Mountain an easement. The project is now under construction and is expected to be completed by June 2023. The project will aid in safety, visibility, walkability, and traffic flow in this area once completed.
Construction will be timed in conjunction with an adjacent school board project on the same site which will include the installation of a walking track. (The track is NOT part of the town's project.)
- The site surveying was completed in January 2023 by Withers Ravenel Engineering.
- The survey work is being performed by Traffic Planning and Design.
- The Town Attorney will prepare an easement in conjunction with the Buncombe County Commissioners which may include an MOU (memorandum of understanding) for maintenance. Once final approval by both governing boards is given, an RFP for construction was issued and James Almquist Construction was the low bidder. Work has begun on May 17, 2023.
- The anticipated completion date of this project is by June 30, 2023. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- This project is funded in the FY22-23 budget in the amount of $65,000 which includes the survey, engineering plans and construction. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
Charlotte Street Sidewalk Documents
Charlotte Street Sidewalk ConstructionConstruction is underway on Charlotte Street! Read on...