News Flash Home
The original item was published from 7/8/2021 4:16:24 PM to 10/1/2021 12:00:04 AM.

News Flash

Planning News

Posted on: July 8, 2021

[ARCHIVED] Flood Risk


The 2021 hurricane season is upon us and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) has predicted another above-normal Atlantic hurricane season. Forecasters predict a 60% chance of an above-normal season, a 30% chance of a near-normal season, and a 10% chance of a below-normal season. Experts do not anticipate the historic level of storm activity seen in 2020.

For 2021, a likely range of 13 to 20 named storms (winds of 39 mph or higher), of which 6 to 10 could become hurricanes (winds of 74 mph or higher), including 3 to 5 major hurricanes (category 3, 4 or 5; with winds of 111 mph or higher) is expected. 

With hurricane season running from June 1 through November 30, residents should not overlook the potential danger resulting from flood waters, high wind, or other natural disasters. 

Even if you do not live hear a waterway, a heavy rain event can be devastating. By taking precautionary steps and familiarizing yourself with safety information, Black Mountain residents can be better prepared. It is your responsibility to stay informed and take action - the preparations you make today can limit tomorrow's risk, exposure, and losses. 

Resources for our residents

Flood Preparedness


Facebook Twitter Email